Recipe: Warm Things Up with Spicy Spiked Hot Apple Cider
I'm a sucker for hot drinks. Growing up going to Christmas Markets in Europe every year, it just isn't officially the holidays until you've had a boozy hot drink in your hand. I find myself always searching for bars during the holiday season that serve hot libations, but have come to find that my favorite recipes (outside of Europe, of course) are made at home.
Hot and spicy apple cider is one of my favorites. It's reminscent of a hot toddy and a spicy margaritaish concoction, but totally festive and guaranteed to get you in the holiday spirit.
SPICY SPIKED HOT APPLE CIDER
- 2oz Mezcal
- 1oz lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 5 cardamom pods
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 cups cloudy apple juice
- 2 cinamonn sticks
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 star anise
- Apple slices for garnish
Cardamom, Black Peppercorn Syrup
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush 5 cardamom pods and 10 black peppercorns.
- Combine spices with sugar and water in a saucepan over high heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring continuously.
- Once boiling, remove from heat and let stand until cool.
- Strain syrup through a fine mesh sieve into a clean jar and store in the fridge.
Spiced Apple Juice
In a saucepan, combine 2 cups of cloudy apple juice, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 star anise, and ½ tsp of chilli flakes. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
Spicy Spiked Apple Cider Cocktail
In a mug, combine Mezcal, lemon juice and syrup. Stir and top with warm, spiced apple juice. Garnish with an apple fan.