Homemade S'mores Popsicles (They're Dairy Free Too!)
Nothing warms you up quite like some campfire s'mores. Christmas in California doesn't get too hot, so cooling things down isn't always frowned upon.
This recipe makes a super rich, decadent chocolate popsicle that’s loaded with cocoa, dark chocolate, graham cracker crumbs and topped off with a fluffy, sweet, white meringue. Why meringue, you may ask?! It’s far less sweet than marshmallow cream and much easier to make. The light meringue will also help to not weigh down your popsicles (marshmallow cream tends to get super thick).
Pro tip: Get creative with your toppings! Rainbow sprinkles (my favorite), nuts, shredded coconut...this sky's the limit!
makes 10 popsicles
2 cans full fat coconut milk
1 shot of espresso
⅓ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup dark chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup maple syrup
1 pinch of salt
1 box graham crackers
½ cup dark chocolate chips
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 large eggs, whites only
½ cup icing sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch of tartar
1. Place all of the popsicle ingredients in a pot over medium heat and warm the mix until chocolate melts (don’t simmer or boil). Remove from the heat and let it cool down for a few minutes.
2. Prepare your popsicle molds (make sure to soak the wooden sticks in warm water for a few minutes). Pour the cool chocolate mix into the popsicle mold and freeze overnight.
3. Place the graham crackers in a food processor and pulse until they crumble. Set aside.
4. In a double boiler (water simmering in a pot with a bowl on top), melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Once melted, turn the heat off and leave the bowl over the pot so it stays warm.
5. Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar on high speed until you reach stiff peaks, then slowly add the sugar, then the vanilla, and whip for another minute or so until nice and glossy.
To make the popsicles:
Take the popsicles out of their mold. Drizzle with the melted chocolate, then sprinkle the crumbled graham crackers, dip or scoop the meringue on top of the popsicle, torch and you’re done! EAT! Eat them all!!