Boozy Mango Slushies (with a spicy kick)
Wanna cool down? We gotchu! Today I’m sharing a recipe that’s similar to that “nice-cream” thing everyone raves about (frozen bananas with toppings – no dairy or added sugar, so it’s “nice”!). This one is made with frozen mangoes, coconut milk, a pinch of salt, a little lime and ancho reyes.
So what’s ancho reyes? It’s ancho chile liqueur that’s a touch smoky and spicy. It’s awesome in cocktails, and in this case, it spices up a sweet slushie like no one’s business. If you can’t find it or don’t want to buy the whole bottle, simply swap it for good ol’ spiced rum.
You could also say this is a bit of a cocktail / slushie / mango lassi mash-up, which makes it the best cool-down treat for summer. And there’s a secret ingredient that makes it extra yellow and summery: turmeric! It’s totally optional but it really gives this drink that sunshine color.
Make sure to garnish this recipe with loads of fresh seasonal fruit to add to the tropical flair. Get the recipe below and let me know what you think in the comments – cheers!
Boozy Mango Slushie with Chile
– 3 cups frozen mango
– 1 cup full fat coconut milk
– 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
– 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
– 1 tsp turmeric powder (optional, but it helps make the slushie brighter)
– 1 pinch of salt salt
– Chile flakes to taste
– Ancho Reyes liqueur or spiced rum
– For the garnish: fresh mango, blood orange wedges, lime wedges, chile flakes
1. Place the first 7 ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. If it’s too thick, add a splash of warm water to get it going. Taste for acidity and spiciness and adjust if needed.
2. Serve the slushie in a glass, then sprinkle a little extra pinch of chile flakes on top, squeeze some more lime (or lemon), add ½ a shot or a full shot (depending on how boozy you want it) of the rum or liqueur
3. Garnish with fruit and serve immediately